Below, lizard footprints in the sand.
We are all diminished as citizens when any of us are poor. Poverty is a national waste as well as individual waste. We are all diminished when any of us are denied proper education. The nation is the poorer – a poorer economy, a poorer civilisation, because of this human and national waste. Gough Whitlam, 1969.
- Medibank, the national health insurance scheme.
- abolition of university fees.
- independent and specialist schools eligible for state funding.
- Aboriginal land rights.
- the first western national leader to visit China and re-establish diplomatic relations with that country.
- withdrawal from the Vietnam War.
- the end of conscription.
- abolition of the death penalty.
- no fault divorce.
- the Racial Discrimination Act.
- protection of the Great Barrier Reef against oil interests.
- environmental protection legislation.
- the appointment of women to senior and influential government posts.
- voting age of 18.
- legal aid.
- the Trade Practices Act.
- unemployment benefit and sole parent pension.
- contact with South African sports banned due to Apartheid.
As far as I can tell the current Prime Minister is trying to undo all of these things.