Wednesday 30 April 2008

A Right Jumble

While we are waiting for my house to sell and the money to start happening, the one task I can perform is demolition. Demolition doesn't cost anything, and if you're careful, you can do it all on your own.

This week I have started removing all the old electrical wiring from the house. The photo below is just of the wires I removed from our entry hall - 5 metres x 3 metres. I don't know if the person who installed the wiring was a lunatic or a genius, but he managed to cram over 50 metres of cable and 7 junction boxes in to one small space.


A similar amount of wire has come out of the kitchen (although there is one wire that appears to lead nowhere and has just been cemented in to the wall).

Over the next couple of days I will be pulling the wiring out of the barn and the upstairs rooms. I have no doubt this will cause a mess.

I am good at messes.

Simon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Demolition is the fun part of home renovations. Messy, yes, but satisfying. You see such a big improvement, and then you have such a feeling of accomplishment when you haul the stuff away.

Ken Broadhurst said...

Be careful, that's what I have to say. I'd be capable of electrocuting myself.

Simon said...

Ken

We had the electrician visit in February and he disconnected all the wiring , then wired in three new prises. They are the only things attached to the electricity - but you're right. The way the house has been wired, I wouldn't put it past them to have connected sonething directly to the neighbours supply............

Autolycus said...

Think yourself lucky. I once stayed in an apartment in Spain where someone had earthed the mains power to the water pipes. That made showers interesting.

Susan said...

Errrm...actually, there is an earth wire connected to our bathroom plumbing pipes in London, and the bath is cast iron...
Susan

Post a Comment